HOLD UP – I feel obligated to tell you that there are “Chappie” and “Short Circuit” spoilers below. Though, if you’ve not seen “Short Circuit” either, then you’re a big loser face like me and you deserve to have it ruined for you.
Four weeks ago, I went to watch “Chappie” with my brilliantly talented colleagues from Image Engine for the first time. Here’s some of my Asset Team Family that I was able to con into taking a photo with me:
Two weeks after that I sat down at home to watch “Short Circuit” for the first time. And I’ll agree that the two movies are a lot alike.
Here’s a breakdown of similarities that I found between Johnny 5 and Chappie:
1) They were both created as military/police robots.
2) In the beginning, they are pretty shy.
4) Both are child-like, sentient robots that absorb knowledge at super-speed. Also, they both read books.
6) At first, neither of them know how dangerous they actually are.
7) Then, when they learn they have the power to “disassemble” others their consciences kicks in.
8) Both make a mess in the kitchen.
9) They both lose an arm and get a replacement.
10) Johnny 5 and Chappie both drive like a boss.
11) Lastly, how do I say this? …Token Indian friend?
Pwew! That’s a lot of similarities. The biggest similarity though, is that they both did poorly in the way of ratings when they were released. 😦 I guess cute, childish robots aren’t for everyone. For me though…
My official rating: